Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Surprise!

We had a doctor's appointment yesterday and to our surprise (and the doctor's) I am dilated to a 2+. At first I didn't really know what this implied except that the doctor, upon discovering my progression, proceeded to give us detailed instructions of what to do if my water breaks or if I begin having regular contractions and worrying about the fact that we haven't chosen a pediatrician yet. To me this said that the time may soon be at hand to deliver our son.
I came home and looked up the stages of labor on the internet and found out that technically I am in early labor. Apparently early labor ends when you've dilated to a 4 and then you should start progressing more rapidly. After reading that I really started to think that we were close. But I haven't really felt any pain that seems to be consistent with true labor pains or contractions. I have since learned that some people are dilated to a 1 or 2 for up to four weeks before they actually deliver and have fairly regular (and painful) Braxton Hicks contractions during that time.
So, there was a bit of excitement yesterday, but it looks like we don't necessarily have reason to think that Kason will be making his appearance early. The whole experience did help me realize that when the time for actual labor is close (as I thought it was yesterday) my excitement for the whole event does in fact outweigh my fear of it. This is something I've been going back and forth on for a while now. It helps to know that I am more excited than scared. Although it may end up being like a roller coaster ride when you are very excited until the car gets about half way up the first hill and then the fear sets in and you panic and wish you could turn back. I guess we will see.

FYI - I did not reach my goal of completing the Red Sox blanket, however I am making progress and will post pictures as soon as I'm done!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my heck...that is totally not fair that you are already dialated! I was at a tight zero until 16 hours of stupid labor!!! Can't wait to see the Red Sox blanket. P.S. Laura has the patterns for the monsters, she made them for her girls camp.

Carolyn said...

That's so great that you're already dilating and didn't even know it! We're excited to meet Kason!

Ashlee said...

That is SO exciting! I do highly recommend my pediatrician if you want her name. I am so excited for you!

Unknown said...

Let us know when it happens! Be sure to put us on your list if you go the private blog route
jenwcochran@gmail.com

Erin said...

So any news witht his baby??? How are you feeling? Do you need anything?